Six reasons to embrace print
With the low cost and ubiquity of social media, some companies are cutting back on print marketing. Don't.
- Break through the clutter. People receive 10-15 emails from brands per day. In contrast, they receive 10-15 direct mail pieces per week.Print makes it easier to get your message across.
- Use storytelling to make an emotional connection. Whether you're using a single image or a catalogue full of copy, print combines the visual, the verbal, and the tactile to create compelling stories.
- Give customers the opportunity to browse. People are much more likely to stumble upon a product in print than they are when searching a website.
- Integrate with other channels. Print is one piece of an integrated marketing strategy. Use it to drive traffic to online sources and make sure your online presence coordinates with it.
- Gain back lapsed customers. Using targeted mailings and great creative, you can break through information overload and bring back old customers.
- Get measurable ROI. When used with the right tactics, print allows you to track performance.
Connect with customers via print and you create a more sustainable brand.
Four ways to handle negative feedback
In the social sphere, everyone has a megaphone. Whether you provide a forum for customers to leave public feedback (like a Facebook page) or whether you're in the hands of review sites like Yelp, people are going to share experiences of your business. And sometimes they'll go negative. What to do?
- Respond—fast. The longer the negativity hangs out there, the more credibility it gains.
- Apologize, even if the customer is incorrect. A simple "I'm sorry you're unhappy" can go a long way.
- Continue tricky conversations in private. Make your initial reaction public but don't allow the customer to control the dialogue by keeping it there.
- Thank customers for their feedback. Treat any comments as potential constructive criticism. Seriously consider whether changes need to be made.
When others go negative, keep it positive and respectful.