In the News
Happy, um, “New” Year!
Due to a fascinating array of illnesses in January, Sparks didn’t make it back from vacation until now. So Happy New Year—hope it’s going great for you!
How to destroy your website in 8 easy steps
We’ve hit many of these points before, but here’s another way of thinking about your site.
- Go for the tired. Use words like “innovative” and “leading edge” to drive people away in droves.
- Buy an email list. Bombard people who’ve never heard of you with unwanted messages. They’ll love you for it.
- Nevermind mobile. Sure, over half the market is on mobile and mobile is outselling desktop hand-over-fist, but you’d rather not reach that market, right?
- Make your copy a nightmare. Write long, dense paragraphs filled with jargon. Visitors will thank you for making their eyes glaze over.
- Think “circus” for your homepage. Make everything bigger, especially your logo. Use lots of colors. Use lots of animated icons. Ensure epileptic fits.
- Irritate Google. Call your home page “Home.” Better yet, use the same title on all your pages. Forget basic search engine optimization. Google can figure it out.
- Use Flash. Force users to download the latest version of Flash so they can see your home page. Better yet, use Flash so that content won’t show up on mobile devices. Your visitors will thank you.
- Don’t test. It worked for HealthCare.gov, right?
Okay, we’ll cut the snark, but hopefully you’ve got a few takeaways to consider as you review your site!
How we design
We are not Apple, one of the world’s leading brands and legendary innovators. However, we do follow the same design process as laid out in this brief and lovely video.
If you are a client, we’ve pounced on you with the million-dollar question: How do you want your customers to feel? That’s our starting point. That’s our guide. That’s where we end.
That’s what makes us so effective. Strong emotions build strong brand loyalty. And that makes everybody…happy.
Contact us today to discuss your next project!
This month’s winner: Drake Spaeth!
Our VisoVerbo champ wins a digital print featuring this one-of-a-kind design. Have a favorite quote or saying? Send it in! If your quote is chosen, you’ll receive a digital print of your custom design suitable for framing! Check out your competition here.
YouTube Creator Playbook
Been thinking about adding video to your marketing mix? Do it. YouTube is the most popular search engine after Google and receives billions of views each day. Research shows that customers watch videos and associate them with a positive brand experience.
Help yourself do it right by checking out YouTube’s “Creator Playbook.” It is a great primer for setting up your YouTube channel and generating a great community around your brand.
What you’ve missed on Facebook
Here are some of our recent Facebook posts. “Like” us to get in on the goodness.
- Geat mash-up of kid’s illustrations with Dad’s coloring
- Transforming garbage into art
- Astonishing green architecture
- OCD designers: The Brookyn Bridge in type
- Top 10 rebrands of 2013
- Honest taglines for famous brands
- Creative advertisements to make you laugh
- An installation made from over 8,000 colored pencils
- Gorgeous business cards